EFEPS is unique being the only pan-European organisation that represents, under one umbrella, all the pharmaceutical sciences and pharmaceutical scientists engaged in drug research and development, drug regulation and drug policy making. The existence of such an umbrella platform facilitates the highly innovative, integrative and interdisciplinary approaches that are essential if we, in Europe, are to deliver to our citizens safe, effective, economic and timely medicines. The ultimate benefits are an improving health, quality of life, and wealth of our continent.
EUFEPS is recognised by the European Commission as representing the integrative pharmaceutical sciences within Europe. EUEFPS is also recognised by the EMEA as a neutral scientific resource for independent opinions on draft regulatory guidelines, while EUFEPS works with other European organisations, such as EFPIA, to help identify and promote training to meet industrial needs.
In addition, EUFEPS plays an active and influential role also in the global arena. It is recognised by the USA FDA and it works actively with its sister organisation AAPS to develop co-sponsored meetings and workshops that run alternatively in Europe and the USA, and is developing links with Asian scientists. Through involvement with its Board of Pharmaceutical Sciences, EUFEPS is also working with FIP to advance the pharmaceutical sciences globally.
As a strategic goal, liaison with other European and International organisations in the area of pharmaceutical sciences is essential for EUFEPS.
EUFEPS co-sponsors, and participates in the scientific programme of the World Congress in Pharmaceutical Sciences, and is organising the World Conference on Drug Absorption and Drug Delivery. Other initiatives include the innovative
annual Optimising Drug Development conferences, the New Safe Medicines Faster project aimed at the EU 6th RTD Framework Programme, educational and training programmes, as well as the biennial Congresses in the Pharmaceutical Sciences, which bring together European scientists from all the disciplines comprising the pharmaceutical sciences.
Formal and informal relationships with other organisations include:
- American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS)
- American Society of Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics (ASCPT)
- European Association of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics (EACPT)
- FIP Board of Pharmaceutical Sciences (FIP BPS)
- International Society for the Study of Xenobiotics (ISSX)
- Center for Drug Development Science (CDDS), Washington, DC USA
- European Center of Pharmaceutical Medicine (ECPM), Basel, Switzerland
- European Co-operation in the Field of Scientific and Technical Research/Medical Research/Modelling during drug development (COST B15)
- European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA), Brussels, Belgium
- Leiden Academic Centre for Drug Research (LACDR), Leiden, The Netherlands
- Tufts Center for the Study of Drug Development (CSDD), Boston, MA USA.
The European Medicines Evaluation Agency (EMEA) has recognised EUFEPS as an independent European scientific sounding board. EUFEPS has e.g. given scientific advice on the Note for Guidance (NfG) proposal for Bioavailability and Bioequivalence.
US Food and Drug Administration Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (FDA CDER). A good working relationship is in place as an active EUFEPS Liaison Officer for EUFEPS (Dr Lawrence J. Lesko, PhD) was appointed.
EUFEPS has developed relations with the EU on the level of the Commission.
The most important activity, currently, is the EUFEPS proposal for a key action within the RTD Framework Programme - New Safe Medicines Faster (NSMF).